Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why I Write Fantasy - Nicole Zoltack



Welcome Nicole Zoltack, Medieval Fantasy author and Renaissance Faire bride!

Amber: Why do you write fantasy? 

Nicole: I write fantasy because I love the idea of being able to create a new world, especially magical ones. My fantasy novels tended to be grounded in history, the Middle Ages. I love the idea of knights and magic.
Amber: I love your romantic Renaissance wedding photos. Tell me about your wedding.

Nicole: Thank you! :) I’ve always been obsessed with knight and the Middle Ages. After my boyfriend proposed to me and we set a date, I asked him what he thought of a Renaissance themed wedding, and he agreed! I was so happy. 

I planned the wedding myself. I had my gown made. It wasn’t the traditional white color. The bodice had a faint blue color to it – blue was the purity color in the Middle Ages. I made the wedding invitations myself. Used parchment-like paper and included the line Medieval attire admired not required. Our wedding rings are Claddagh ones. Our wedding party rented costumes. We had a wonderful castle wedding cake and cut the first piece with a dagger. Our outdoor pictures were taken at a historic park that had stone arches. They made for an awesome backdrop. One of my coworkers (back when I had a ‘real’ job) performed music in a Renaissance band, so they played during the reception. And our wedding favors were floating castle candles.

Amber: In Kingdom of Arnhem Book One: Woman of Honor your heroine is a female knight. 

Nicole: Yes, Aislinn wanted to become a knight to take her dead brother’s place. She’s very big on tradition despite her wanting to do something only boys have ever done in her kingdom. She’s strong and brave and loyal, all great qualities for a knight. She also has a big heart. Despite being a knight, there is a definite feminine side to Aislinn. She’s definitely one of my favorite heroines from my stories.

Amber: What do you read and why do readers love fantasy? 

Nicole: I read everything I can get my hands on: fantasy/paranormal, historical, mysteries, science fiction, the classics, YA, romances, true crime. I’m not too choosey.
Readers love fantasy because it provides an escape from the mundane. People love to imagine worlds in which magic and other races exist. I think people are drawn to magic because it seems so powerful. After all, who wouldn’t want to use magic to make their lives easier?

Amber: Would you write fantasy even if no one read it? 

Nicole: Yes, definitely. I write for my readers, but I also write for myself. Writing is very therapeutic for me. And I love fantasy stories because it's a means to escape to a magical world where not all of my friends have to be human.

 
Nicole Zoltack is obsessed with the Middle Ages so it comes as no surprise that her first novel was about a girl who wants to be a knight. She writes fantasy/paranormal, romance, historical, horror, YA… she refused to be boxed in my genre. She might be claustrophobic! She enjoys spending her free time with her loving husband and adorable sons, riding horses, collecting swords, and going to the Pa Renaissance Faire, dressed in period garb, of course!


Learn more about Nicole & her Books
****
Nicole's Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment