Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Why I Write Fantasy -Jennifer Allis Provost


Welcome Jennifer Allis Provost, author of epic fairies fantasy!

Amber: Why do you write fantasy? 

Jennifer: The main reason I write fantasy is to escape everyday life. When I was a child, I enjoyed nothing more than getting lost in a good book, and the more fantastical the plot the better. By writing the fantasy you get to create a world you’d like to live in.

Amber: Tell me about why you chose to write about fairies on an epic level? 
 
Jennifer:  I've always been enamored by those stories where a normal girl (or boy) wakes up in a fantastic otherworld, like Alice falling down the rabbit hole. Wouldn't it be amazing if such doorways existed?

Amber: What are your favorite fantasy novels?
Jennifer: The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley. I first read The Hero and the Crown while I was in the fourth grade, and I go back to it every few years. Other early favorites were A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Once and Future King by T.H. White.
As for newer works, I am completely in love with Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel series. I also recently enjoyed Graceling by Kristin Cashore – it reminded me of something I would write.

Amber: Why do readers love fantasy?
Jennifer: I think people like reading it for the same reasons I write it – to escape. Consider the current influx of urban fantasies in your local bookstore. After a tough day at work, it’s nice to read about a character whose problems include dragons and evil wizards. And hey, if the dragons and wizards can be conquered, so can that paper jam.

Amber: Would you write fantasy even if no one read it?
Jennifer: Absolutely. Writing is who I am, not what I do.


Jennifer Allis Provost is a native New Englander who lives in a sprawling colonial along with a dog, two birds, three cats, and a wonderful husband who never forgets to buy ice cream. As a child, she read anything and everything she could get her hands on, including a set of encyclopedias, but fantasy was always her favorite. She spends her days drinking vast amounts of coffee, arguing with her computer, and avoiding any and all domestic behavior. 

Find out more about Jennifer's



No comments:

Post a Comment